 Administrative / General / 5727
Re: Automated password appraisal (Re: New feature: Article rating)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 15:44:39 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

"Todd Lehman" <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:

[...]
I'll put this password thingy up on a webpage for people to try out, maybe
later tonight.  If we can all agree that it does a good job of weeding out
bad passwords, then I'll put it into place for where you can actually change
your own password.

OK, here it is:

  http://www.lugnet.com/people/members/pwsa/

...Hmmm. I dug up old passwords from long dead servers (don't u hate it when u remember
passwords, but not the login id? :-)

...But anyway, I tried '4Gxc5t'... it came back failed but its reasoning was strange...
(try it urself :-) the 'slight risk' ones just baffle me... what's a slight risk about the
fragment 'xc'? I can see a slight risk for 'cst' (central standard time?), but 'agx'?

...Most of the other ones I knew were weak came back failed, but it fequently chided me
for 'slight risk' fragments that dont seem to make sense. The above was the only one that
I would have suspected to get at least an 'adequate' :-/

...I noticed as I tinkered with some of the weak ones and watched the changing reasoning,
perhaps an additional feature would be to list 'good features' of the password. such as
saying "Good: 8 characters" or once it complained that 'unique charactes <75%' perhaps say
'good: >75% unique characters'... by watching the positive feedback, it may be possible to
'tune' bad passwords easier.

...you can go back to ignoring me now...

wubwub
stephen f roberts
wamalug guy  (http://wamalug.org)
wildlink.com