 Administrative / General / 5635
Re: New feature: Article rating
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 02:36:09 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Personally, I'd love some tips on how to pick good passwords that are easy to
remember. I'll admit to using poor passwords, and re-using them. These days,
one seems to need so many passwords that I can't see how you can really work
well if you really do chose a different password for every site, and I'm
assuming somehow coding the site into an otherwise shared password is not
good. I.e. "lcp7j53qt" for Lugnet and "ebp7j53qt" for eBay is not a good idea
(though those might be sort of ok if all you have is those two, but if you
have a bunch, someone could discover your pattern).

Obviously one way to manage the number of passwords is to have some common
passwords for sites requiring low security (like sharing a password for a
bunch of buisiness related read only web sites is probably not that bad, sure,
if someone gets your password and shares it, one of the sites might get pissed
off that hundreds or thousands of people are logging into their site using
your account, but they can cut their losses pretty quickly, and you may just
lose out by having your account canceled).

What are peoples feelings on systems which require you to change your password
every 6 months or whatever? It seems to me that that just encourages people to
use weaker passwords.

Frank