 Administrative / General / 5627
Re: New feature: Article rating
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 00:39:15 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Ed Jones writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Ed Jones writes:
[...]
Perhaps if you required that members create a password that would:
- Only be used for LUGNET

This could be a polite request to people, but as Mike Stanley pointed out
yesterday, there's technically no way to ensure it 100%.  (Which doesn't
diminish its desirability, only its effectiveness somewhat.)

What I meant was that if you stated that use of your LUGNET password (as
descrived above) in any other online application would automatically relieve
LUGNET of any responsibility of hacking to appications other than LUGNET.

Right.  But, while that is an excellent polite request to make to people,
as Mike Stanley pointed out yesterday, there's no way to ensure that people
will follow that suggestion -- in either direction.  But it's still a good
thing to politely ask of people.

BTW, the Terms of Use Agreement already relieves LUGNET of any such liability.

How would you use your member account if your info wasn't stored in a cookie
when you signed in?  (That's the sole purpose of signing in.)

How about the Member sign-in screen.

The purpose of the sign-in screen is to authenticate you and store a cookie.

I would certainly have no problem with that.  Cookies get deleted/corrupted
anyway (for some reason I have to resubscribe to LUGNET about every 2 weeks
because my cookie gets deleted/corrupted).  I would much rather rely on my
memory of my password that a cookie.

I see what you mean, I think, but the cookie isn't there to help you remember
your password -- it's there to store your password so that you don't have to
type it in each time on every single form or input that needs to authenticate
you (not many now, but in the future with more whiz-bang things like marking
sets as wanted or bidding in auctions, it could be hundreds a day for some
people.)

Again, signing into LUGNET via Member sign in should allow you to access all
the features of LUGNET.  Why would I need a seperate cookie for each feature?

Yes, we'd like to phase out the older legacy cookies in the case of members,
and let members access the non-member features using their single member
cookie.

--Todd