 Administrative / General / 5615
Re: New feature: Article rating
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 17:04:39 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Mike Stanley writes:

How about minimum of 8 characters with at least 2 numbers or other special
characters?   6 and 1 is fairly common.

The argument here is that if you get too restrictive (requiring one non
alphanumeric, for example) you cut the set of passwords down far enough that
you make brute force attack easier!

I tend to favor trying a few quick checks on the pw to see if it's easily
guessable and if it is, telling the user that it's not the greatest choice, but
not actually preventing its use.

But then I haven't yet seen where Lugnet needs the level of security that, for
example, Derek S needs when he goes to work (in a missile silo).

X.com doesn't require anything special about PWs... when you use X you have
more at risk than at Lugnet (well, your honor and reputation are more at risk
here if someone starts posting in your name). Doesn't make their lax security
"right" but there is an appropriate level of effort to put into this, not sure
what it is yet.

++Lar