 Administrative / General / 5557
Re: New feature: Article rating
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 17:41:08 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

2.  Allow people to add an easy-to-remember password of their own choosing
   on top of the main password, and require both passwords in order to be
   fully signed-in.  This would allow people to store their main password in
   a main cookie on machines at work, and use the secondary easy-to-remember
   password for quick signing in and signing out whenever they wanted.  Thus
   they would only have to remember one short password which someone snooping
   on their machine probably couldn't guess, yet the main password would
   still be there for other security reasons.

I think people should be able to be fully signed in without machine-generated
passwords - otherwise it is discriminating against those who use a lot of
different machines. What about using the double-login idea with two distinct
user-definable passwords?

Or making it (if you can legally do so) the *users* responsibility to choose a
secure password, by making them click a "I accept total responsibility if
LUGNET is hacked into and this password is used to get into some of my other
accounts because I'm too dumb to use a unique password". But in a (more
polite?) legalise fashion.

Richard