 Administrative / General / 5546
Re: New feature: Article rating
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 16:29:22 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

On Sun, 26 Mar 2000 14:16:00 GMT, "Lorbaat" <eric@nospam.thirteen.net>
wrote:

In lugnet.admin.general, Mike Stanley writes:

Yeah, I don't think I've ever "signed in" simply because I can't
bother to keep up with another password I didn't pick.  Once I hear I
can login ONCE with this password I refuse to put any effort into
holding onto or remembering and change it to something I can remember
without effort, I'll do it.  Until then, having a password without the
ability to change it isn't of much value to me.

Currently you *can* login "ONCE" by selecting "never log me out" (or something
similar, I don't remember the exact wording).  I logged in once at home, and
have never re-entered my passwd.  When I come back and dial up, opena  browser,
and go to Lugnet, I'm still logged in.

That might be fine for home (or maybe it wouldn't be - maybe my wife
and I share a computer to access LUGNET (we don't, since I have more
than a few computers, but we could)?) but it wouldn't work for work.
My LUGNET packet is sitting in my desk at work, waiting for me to use
that password, if I ever get to change it myself.  Until then I won't
be using it.  I have to keep track of more passwords than most people
because of my job - I'm not using any more brain cells to keep track
of one I had no say in.

I will admit that here at work I'm not logged in because I haven't bothered to
jot down my passwd and bring it in, though.

IMHO, the ability to change your passwd would be nice, but I'd rather see
wholly new features like article rating than that particular improvement on an
existing feature.

But what good are those cool new features if you can't access them
without signing in?  IMNSHO the inability to change your password to
something of your choice (even within certain length/composition
restrictions) is a serious flaw, especially from the user perspective.
Both Larry and I agree on this - that means we have to be right.

--
Tired of waiting for LEGO Direct? Bulk Parts Sales NOW!
http://www.guarded-inn.com/lego/sales/parts.html