 Administrative / General / 5543
Re: New feature: Article rating
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 15:50:32 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Lorbaat wrote:

In lugnet.admin.general, Mike Stanley writes:

Yeah, I don't think I've ever "signed in" simply because I can't
bother to keep up with another password I didn't pick.  Once I hear I
can login ONCE with this password I refuse to put any effort into
holding onto or remembering and change it to something I can remember
without effort, I'll do it.  Until then, having a password without the
ability to change it isn't of much value to me.

Currently you *can* login "ONCE" by selecting "never log me out" (or something
similar, I don't remember the exact wording).  I logged in once at home, and
have never re-entered my passwd.  When I come back and dial up, opena  browser,
and go to Lugnet, I'm still logged in.

I use too many machines for this to be useful to me. Plus I lose my
cookies (sounds kinda gross) often enough on the machines I DO use on a
regular basis.

I will admit that here at work I'm not logged in because I haven't bothered to
jot down my passwd and bring it in, though.

IMHO, the ability to change your passwd would be nice, but I'd rather see
wholly new features like article rating than that particular improvement on an
existing feature.

Disagree strongly.

If the spiffy new feature isn't usable because of an easy to fix
limitation that prevents or hinders a large subset of the population
from using it.

Again, fixed passwords are wrong. They are less secure and less user
friendly. We can go into this in depth in .geek if you want.

--
Larry Pieniazek - lpieniazek@mercator.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!