 Administrative / General / 4585
Re: No gimmicks, just some free background images
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 00:21:29 GMT

Richard Franks wrote:

I'd like to help too, that's why I thought implementing the committee/panel
idea would be useful <http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=4547>, but that
must have been squiffy as no-one seems to agree!

This has to come from Todd, we can't self organize this.

I think there are two main issues:
1) Is this a good time to start a LUGNET panel to deal with regulatory issues?
I think that quite a few people think that it is - most importantly though -
does Todd? My interpretation of the various hints was that he thought it was
a good time too - although I admit that it's hard to draw such conclusions over
the net, so my interpretation could be squiffy!

2) If it was a good time, then would it be 'better' to self-organise such a
system? That isn't to say that self-organisation would necessarily create a
better, productive, efficient, fair system! One of the main reasons why I have
assumed that Todd was waiting for us to self-organise, is that it is the surest
way to tell that it comes at the correct time - rather than Todd scouting for
volunteers, asking them to vote etc, at a time when the community isn't mature
enough to handle that.

Todd - I rarely invoke you directly :) - if I am assuming too much then please
let me know and I'll apologise for wasting everyones time!

Further I'm not sure groups are the right way to go, perhaps a mailing list?

Yeah - a mailing list has the advantage that it's easy to set up, whereas if
you want private discussions in a newsgroup, then more development work might
need to be done! A group would have an advantage of acting as a
learning and reference resource though - email will get lost at least in some
cases, as people delete it, or don't save it to the correct folder etc.

Richard