 Administrative / General / 4422
Re: Pre Auction Anouncment/Sale/Trade - Parts & Sets (8448 / 7171 / Pirates)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 20:38:37 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote in message ...
I think Todd would agree that one of the main things he had in mind
when setting up the market group structure and limiting auction
announcements to _only_ the .auction group is the negative effect
auction announcements/updates can have on those who absolutely do not
want to read them.

Yup, and the people who not only don't want to read them but also don't • want
to even know that they exist.  It seems there was a larger percentage of
vocal folks of this type back in 1994-95 when auctions weren't an everyday
occurrance yet, but I'm sure it's something that will always annoy folks • who
want to enjoy the hobby simply and purely and free from issues like • auctions
and mega-sales.

I'd be curious as to how many people really never ever ever want to see an
auction announcement. I would guess that many of the people who got upset at
the trend RTL was taking were upset at the trend and assuming RTL would
become as useless as it generally is now. Clearly lugnet is a different
animal, even with the occaisional misplaced auction post. Thankfully lugnet
hasn't bowed to the most fanatic (or else we wouldn't be able to have this
discussion here, people wouldn't be able to say "I'm offering these items
for sale or trade until next Friday at which point I'll auction the
remainder", we wouldn't be able to point to auctions to ask about "hey, what
is this set that this guy is auctioning" etc).

I would imagine that if auction posts were to be allowed on a regular
basis in other groups you could see the same sort of negative effect
as if someone with a bad attitude and a case of rudeness were allowed
to continue to post rude things - people would leave.  That's not what
we want here.

Agreed!  If the extra bandwidth from auction noise didn't cause certain • types
of people to leave, certainly the ensuing flamewars would.

The number of flamewars or close to such does suggest we need to clarify the
T&C a bit.

Something for naysayers to keep in mind:  One of the core tenets behind the
LUGNET discussion group stucture was to bring back old-timers and rekindle
the original sense of "good old-fashioned building and playing" which made
RTL so great in its early years 1993-94.  So far I think it's worked out
great.

I certainly have no problems with the overal structure of Lugnet, and the
desire to keep things where they belong (after all, I'm a compartmentalized
dork also [just not a Compartmentalized Dork]). I mostly see that there are
some minor problems with the T&C (though mostly dealing with non-auction
market posts), and perhaps see ways the market structure could be improved.

I agree, and, to be honest, now that you've brought up the comparison,
I'd rather not see a permanent ban as the choice here, since we'd have
to make the comparison between that and someone who probably should
have been banned but wasn't for much worse..

I'd hate to see a permanent ban either (for Scott) -- and I don't think
it's even necessary -- and that's why I asked Scott what he thought the
consequences should be for him if he goofs it again.  I'd like to see him
come up with something and agree to be held to it.  Basic accountability • and
a little responsibility is all I want to see, I guess.

I think this is a good tack to take. Probably I read a little more into
Todd's posts than he intended, and assumed that since the only opinions
voiced were permanent banning for the next slip up, that that was the
general feeling. I'm definitely a responsibility and accountability type of
person (which is why last night when I was uncomfortable with the direction
the discussion was taking, but wasn't in a frame of mind to really get into
what was making me uncomfortable, I made a very limited post which pointed
out that I was uncomfortable rather than just blasting off about
everything).

All of that said, three big huge cheers for Todd for what he has done for
our community. It can't be an easy job to not just get to provide all this
neat stuff, but also to have to police it.

Frank