 Administrative / General / 3911
Re: losing access (was Re: Enough already)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 07:26:09 GMT

Nephilim wrote in message ...
In lugnet.admin.general, Jasper Janssen writes:

Edits are a lot worse than deletions, for a multitude of reasons. For
one, editing means that there is something out there with all the
appearance of coming from you, possibly up to legal force, which _you
didn't write_.

The kind of edit I'm thinking about is another form of deletion - excising
a passage from a post, with a clear comment from the administrator
that it was editedl.

I see this as being better than a straight administrator deletion, because
it leaves the signpost up, so to speak, pointing to the censored text.
When a post disappears, you don't know why it's gone.  There's no
accountability.  But with an edit / expurgation with annotation, you
can clearly denote why the offending passage was removed.

My first inclination would be to agree with the above, but I have heard this
issue hashed out before in other venues, by people who show comparable
understanding of all the issues as Todd.

Two problems with edits as opposed to deletes are:

1. permanent record which might embarass the original poster

2. the existence of a strong hint about some subject might cause people to
go digging

One advantage that Todd has, which severely limits the need for him to even
have to delete posts is much more complete control over the server. He can
immediately suspend posting priviledge from one, some, or all of us. He can
immediately suspend read access if he feels something extremely serious has
happened.

He can limit access to the server while he gives the original poster a
chance to rectify the situation to the extent Todd feels necessary (personal
appology to Todd, public appology, canceling of post, whatever). I doubt he
will ever have to totally ban a FOL.

Frank