 Administrative / General / 14019
Re: 24 hr missing http was Re: who killed HTTP lugnet?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2008 12:18:54 GMT

Okay, it appears that due to the amount of still-incoming spam we do have a lag
with regard to handling authentication emails. That's not exactly new, and it's
not exactly as bad as it used to be - my last test took about 15 minutes to show
up after authentication (while I received the auth email almost immediately,
processing the auth request and actually posting the article appears to have
been delayed by a sudden spam peak).

I have done quite a bit already in order to reduce spam, so I am afraid we will
have to live with the remaining delays.

However, I found no significant delays with articles posted through the web
interface as an authenticated user. Since all articles are posted to NNTP first
and only then integrated into the web site, it shouldn't make any difference
from your case at all (except for the handling delay I mentioned). I admit,
though, that the handling delay may increase - even significantly - during the
time of the backup job which runs every morning beginning around 5 a.m. GMT.
Looking at the times of your posts, that shouldn't be causing you trouble,
though. I could re-schedule, but my primary goal is to rearrange backup to a
point where it cannot cause any significant delays anymore. I am still working
on a solution.

I'm keeping an eye on the issue - please keep me updated if you find anything
else worth mentioning in this context.

Regards,

Jerry