 Administrative / General / 13674
Re: Posting-times?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2006 21:04:18 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Dave Schuler wrote:
I don't post as often as I used to, but for at least the last several weeks I've
noticed that the time between clicking the "POST" button and seeing the "Your
message was successfully posted" screen has greatly increased.  Sometimes it
takes close to a full minute, whereas in the past it was usually a matter of a
few seconds at most.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Yes, people have noticed this and the sys admin is aware of the problem. It can
be unnerving.. I sometimes worry that I'll receive a "time out" message. (But I
never do.)

I'm afraid this delay might cause people to worry, and thus click "send" more
than once. Could this be why Joe Meno's announcement appears twice? See:
http://news.lugnet.com/events/brickfest/?n=3564
http://news.lugnet.com/events/brickfest/?n=3565

What has changed?

I assume it has to do with LUGNET's now being run on new machines. The timing
co-incides with the switchover (at least, in my experience).

Jerry, if I may offer a data point.. This particular length of time seems much
like that which we had previously experienced in waiting for a post to appear
"live" in the web interface. In other words: It used to be that we received a
prompt acknowledgement of our post being sent, but then a delay in seeing it
among the other posts. Now, there's a long wait for the acknowledgement and
instant appearance among other posts.

-Suz