 Administrative / General / 11825
Re: Un-spotlight?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 22:18:52 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Bruce Hietbrink wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, David Eaton wrote:

As I suggested long ago, I think, I much prefer the system devised by Perlmonks,
where you're limited to a certain number of posts per day, which means you've
got to think through which posts you want to rate.

But for that to work you would need to have a large number of Lugnetters using
the spotlight function a lot and maxing out their quota of spotlights.  As it
is, most people use the spotlight function very rarely, no-one reaches any
reasonable daily maximum, and it takes very few votes to get on the top posts
list.  Larry's post in this thread, which is at the top of the front page list,
has 14 votes.  Jonathan's clock tower, Brendan's next Bible story, and Adrian's
massive spaceship--all impressive MOCs and very "newsworthy"--have 6, 5, and 10
votes, respectively.  The 10th post on the list, AC Pin's Star Wars diorama, has
only one spotlight.  If more people were spotlighting the cool MOCs, product
announcements, event information, etc, then there would be less "noise" in the
spotlight.
A good take-home lesson from this is that if you think a MOC is cool, spotlight
it.  The chances are that it will end up in the top ranked posts list.

OK, I also don't like my idea, but I think the spotlighting can be improved. I
for one only spotlight if it's not already in the top stories list, maybe some
others are the same. And since it seems to only take 3 or 4 spotlights to get
there (less for .announce posts) I find myself not spotlighting much. Maybe all
that needs to be done is adjusting the threshold a little. It may in fact need
to be adjusted constantly as the number of members increases. Maybe it should be
a function of the number of members? I dunno. But just as a totally
un-researched feeling, the trend seem to me to be for more "less interesting"
(to me) posts showing up there. Maybe it's just that the general interests of
Lugnetters are changing, and mine aren't changing along with it.

ROSCO