 Administrative / General / 11823
Re: Un-spotlight? (was: suspended Bricklink shops)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 19:33:08 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ross Crawford wrote:
Which gets me thinking, why not also have a "un-spotlight" function? Not to
remove a spot light I've previously set (which I can already do), but to
subtract from the spotlights of others (subtract 100 or whatever from its
points value). So if I think a news item that has made the top stories isn't
all that newsworthy, I can vote to remove it.

I strongly object to this idea. Unfortunately it will be too tempting for
certain people to systematicly denote other posts in an effort to get their own
posting higher up the hierarchy.

That such abject behavour exists within our community, has been shown with the
Lugnet Set Database ranking system, a place where it is possible to hand out a
denoting "below average"-vote. When you look on the rangking page:
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/rank/, you'll see that near perfect sets as 8480,
4547, 3739, 8455, 6769 and 10030 all recieved one ore more senseless
"zero"-votes. If it wasn't for these (in my not so humble opinion) malicious
votes, all these sets would rank above the two versions of the Galaxy Explorers
and the Black Seas Barracuda.

With friendly greetings, M. Moolhuysen.