 Administrative / General / 11759
11758  |  11760
Subject:
Profanity and bowdlerization
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 2004 01:01:53 GMT

The LUGNET admins have talked about this topic and reached the following
consensus.

We're inclined to go with a strict interpretation of the ToS. The ToS was put in
place in order to give LUGNET a certain flavor, and we'd like to retain that
flavor. We think it makes LUGNET a more pleasant place to be.

We realize no one is perfect and slipups do sometimes happen, but we would
remind people to not use words commonly considered profane. We also suggest
avoiding trivial clevernesses (like a-hole or a s s h o l e). There is a
gradation here... "f-bomb" approaches being ok when one is describing behavior
by others, but still, we would prefer that users avoid calling people names.

Mostly, we are asking for common sense and reasonableness. You don't need to
excessively circumlocute if it interferes with making your point, but do give it
some thought.

We would also like to point out that just because people have used profanity in
the past and not been explicitly called on it doesn't mean that the ToS changed.
Further we encourage people to consider asking for cancels and then reposting
where they now realize they erred.

Again, reasonableness is what we're looking for, repeated or systematic
violations of the ToS will be dealt with in an appropriate manner.

Larry Pieniazek,
for the LUGNET Administration Team