 Administrative / General / 10876
10875  |  10877
Subject:
Virus spam from Kim Brodie targetting LUGNET members?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 17:18:28 GMT

Heya y'all,

I don't know if this is old news or not, but a LUGNET search on "brodie"
turned up 0 results.  OTOH, it seems there was some discussion about 2 weeks
back about a virus email hitting .space and .castle users...

Anyway, for about a month I've been getting 2-3 emails PER DAY from one "kim
brodie" (Kim.Brodie@unilever.com) offering a hot new Microsoft security
patch attached to the email which, of course, turns out to be a virus.  I
ignored this until today, when I checked the headers again out of
curiousity, and it looks like it's specifically targetting LUGNET members.
Addresses I recognize at or near the top of the list includes the LUGNET
news email address, Todd Lehman, Ed Boxer, Bruce Schlickbernd, Joseph
Gonzales, Frank Filz, Jacob Sparre Anderson, Bram Lambrecht, the list goes
on and on.  From my untrained eye, I'd guess that the recipient list was
hand-crafted to try to cause damage to prominent members of the LUGNET
community.  (1)  I say "hand-crafted" since this list doesn't quite
represent the top 100 noisemakers, which kinda shoots down the theory that
the list was assembled by a harvestbot.

I'm personally surprised at the persistence of this "attack" -- I've been
receiving 2 to 3 per day for the past month or so.  It's so bloody obvious,
though, that I'd be surprised if anyone was caught by it, but still...

I'm not sure what we as a community can do about this other than the obvious
(ignore and move on), but I was wondering if anyone knows if this Kim Brodie
exists, and if so is he/she aware of what's happening with their email
address, and if so can someone go give 'em a whack with the clue stick?

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  My inner conspiracy theorist kicks in at this point, and shouts the
undeniable reality that this is yet another doofus move by Matt Moulton.
After a brief struggle, my inner consipiracy theorist has been hogtied and
stuffed into the fridge.  The world is once again saved.