 Administrative / General / 10428
10427  |  10429
Subject:
a few new things
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 21:33:04 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

hi.

for those of you who love progress... I have a few things to reveal that are
not ready for "real" announcement yet. I'm open to feedback as I work. (I know
how you guys *love* to provide feedback.. wink)

I started an Admin Help Wanted list:
  http://news.lugnet.com/admin/helpwanted

part of the above includes a notebook page:
  http://www.baseplate.com/lugnet/notes/magazine-outline.jpg
I'm pretty serious about this concept and want to talk to some people about how
we can work together.

The new homepage is in progress.. Only its basic layout is decided. Choice of
exact text, pretty pictures and links are yet to be hammered out. you're
looking at placeholders..
  http://www.baseplate.com/lugnet/work/screen-1.jpg
currently I'm wondering:
do people really need a button to click when they initiate a search? or is
everyone like me and just hit Return? how many cool tools can I launch from the
homepage? should I really use CSS? how small can I make that type.. how often
can I realisticly update pretty content about the community? where can I stick
a 'latest posts' box, like we used to have? should I mention that we now have
members of 100 flags? (all 50 states, DC, and about 49? countries)... blah,
blah, blah...

LUGNET's CafePress shop, for sale of logo items, is setting-up anew. I've been
designing and ordering products.. trying to get colors adjusted and seeing what
kinda damage a dishwasher and clothes-dryer can do (rigorous testing!). So far,
the best looking items (quality of logo repro) are: a mousepad, ceramic tile,
tote bag. t-shirts are getting there, and the mugs are looking really bad. same
problems we had last time (few years ago). please don't try to buy anything!

side note: It's freaky that someone just posted about a licence-plate holder..
CP just made those available this week and I drew up a LUGNET one that said "my
other car is a 6-wide." I kid you not! We must all think alike.

A couple little changes in the set db, not sure anyone noticed.. now you can
click to view catalogs of that year (over at Kevin's site). And today we're
seeing about sorting search returns by year - a mini-feature I'm dying for.

I'm looking into some of the ideas that were suggested in admin.finance. No
great news yet.

There's more, that I can't post about. but hopefully this quick note will be
enough to give you some comfort that the wheel of LUGNET progress has fixed its
flat and we are moving forward, even if slowly.

please do not highlight this post. thanks

-Suz