 Administrative / Database / 1882
Re: questionable data
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 17:40:11 GMT

In lugnet.admin.database, Jamie Crothers wrote:
why are there sets listed on the database with a " ? " sets such as  604 & 605
ect , and others as set 671 & 885 have  " 19? " and then theres the ones like
1182 & 1183 that have "{16}" ...thanks in advance

Short answer:
Inconsistencies caused by rules coming in at different times, and several
caretakers of the database doing things in different ways.

Long answer:
? means it's unknown (no reference has been found to a specific U.S. list price
for 604, for instance -- truth be told, in that case, the U.S. set was 410, so
we'll likely NEVER see a U.S. price listed for 604, since it wasn't released in
the U.S. as that number).  Simple enough, but it can mean several levels of
"unknown", based on who put it in, and when.

I can't find a 671 with 19? in it, but I'll address the ones that are in there:
- 671 Vauxhall Victor Estate has a ? for U.S. price, addressed above
- 671 Shell tanker has 73? for the parts count.  It should probably be {73} (see
below), but the question mark here means it wasn't officially supplied, as
either a displayed count on the box, or from a shop at home entry -- side note
that those two values do NOT always match, but both are considered "official"
- 671 Antenna Pack has 2004? as the release year.  That's just what it appears
to be -- the person who entered the date wasn't entirely sure that was the
release year.  No official info exists, so it's being marked as an "educated
guess"

- 885 ah, ok, here's the 19? for the Elements entry. This set wasn't released in
the U.S.  Overseas, the pc counts have not been a priority over the years, so
sets released there didn't have it listed on the box.  Here, the ? means it's an
unofficial count, never verified through official documentation.  Again, this
should really be a {19} -- in fact, I've changed it.

Finally, the curly braces:
These specify that we have a value for that entry, but it's "unofficial".  For
671 Shell Tanker (which I've now changed from 73? to {73}), I know that the part
count was gotten by counting pieces "by hand", rather than from a box count.
That makes it unofficial.  Braces mean there is evidence to back up the value
given, but it's not officially documented anywhere.  Another example would be
the {R/C} tag for 671 Antenna Pack.  That's not an official theme or range per
TLG, but several sets have had that 'tag' applied so that searches for R/C will
bring up the set of related sets that logically group together, if not
officially. [Note: Todd had had plans to add 'keywords' to the set database for
this purpose, until he got them into place, this theme tree idea was implemented
as a stop-gap measure]

The curly braces "rule" was brought in someone late in the process, so it hasn't
been applied as consistently as using question marks (which are the more
intuitive approach, but as you can see from my explanations above, they're not
as well defined, with their shades-of-grey).

    HTH,

       -- joshua