 Administrative / Database / 146
Re: Element search with fuzzy categories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 20:37:48 GMT

Wow!

Food for thought:  If there were a category called desert, you'd want Egypt
to come up under desert, but not mummies (right?).  How can "stops" be put
in to halt expansions like that?

Why would you not want mummies in the desert? Ok I can sort of see why, but
they are related, (By about 80% :)
The percentage cutoff would be useful here.   If the cutoff is set to x%
then once a subgroup falls below x% relative to the _Original_ query (with
all the modifiers between the two multipled in) then the search should stop
exploring that branch.
Maybe The percentages need to be tweaked a bit.

Questions.

How does the search currently know when to stop?

How does it deal with circular references (eg. Tyre=100%Tire Tire=100%Tyre)

If a category is reachable by Two different paths through the concept space
then which does it follow? (The one with the highest % would be my guess)

How are you going to get al the data and relationships entered it seems
rather tedious.

Congratulations on a cool search engine!

Tim